Saturday, September 05, 2009
Dad -

Nando's London

With the many menus :)

Dad with his girls on his 50th
I know for most of us, Father's Day was a while ago now, but down under we are celebrating it tomorrow, and I can't help but think that it is Father's Day tomorrow. :) So here is a post dedicated to my daddy.
I don't know this for a fact, but I bet that 24 years ago, my dad was filled with excitement, knowing that his firstborn was due in a few months. And was he proud when I entered the world. :D hehe...I know. Sarah and Sam will argue to say that they were the ones that dad's proud of. Anyhoo. I can remember, back in the days, when I started to learn to ride the bicycle and was transitioning from the 4 wheels (2 extra small wheels for support on the bike) to 2 wheels, and dad would give me support by holding my seat so that I don't wobble too much on the bike as I tried to balance myself. And then he'd let go slowly until I was confident to ride it on my own. That was such an accomplishment! I can't remember how old I was at that stage.
I also remember when he'd come back from work and join us kids playing badminton. It was always great pairing up with my dad because it means that I'm on the winning side :) hehe. Those childhood times were the best with my dad - I reckon it was seeing my dad lots in the garden pulling out weeds that I got into it as well! But as most parents would say, children grow up fast and soon it was time for me to leave the nest and go overseas. I must say that I was glad that dad came with me on my first trip here, cos I would have gotten lost in Dunedin (he was the one with the map you see). :) I can't wait to have my family all here, except Sam :(, at the end of the year!
Dad was always the quiet and soft spoken one in the family. And although lots of people say I look like my mom on the outside, I actually take after my dad in terms of his character and personality. :) That's where my patience comes from I think! haha.. Always calm and collected in every situation. I don't think I've ever seen him freak out frantically over something. He's also a hard worker and does his best in everything. There was a time when he took a distance learning theologically course from some place in Australia, and I still am amazed at how he can work, take care of his family and spend time with us, AND study the course all at the same time! He did well of course, and we are proud of him. I am proud of my dad :) It goes to show that if I manage my time well, I can do many things too, and still excel :) (Nonetheless, it all works well too with mom's support, so yea, gotta give her some credit :) )
I grew up knowing that dad was in the leadership team in church. And I was used to hearing him give messages in church. In the past few years, dad has started to put in more jokes in his messages, which I find amusing, having always known him to be the serious kind of man. :) Yea. Go dad! :) hehe. I'd say he's the best speaker in church for this decade :D
What astounds me as well is my dad's physical fitness. Oh my. I went running with him once and I struggled to catch up - here a 50 year old vs a erm, 24 year old. hmm. Guess that's a challenge for me to conquer! :)
Oh and I remember asking dad lots to help me with my homework from school when I was young. haha. and by help, it pretty much meant re-writing my essays most of the time, and I end up getting excellent grades because it was pretty much my dad's essay (ooo..the truth comes out! haha) Thanks for those times dad! The credit actually goes to you! haha..
I love my dad lots! I would not trade for another dad. Nope. Never. Period.
Thanks for everything dad - especially spending time with us as we were growing up, despite the busy-ness. I'll see you soon! xoxo
This post was written at 1:34 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~